We are in the new house doing all those things you need to do.
The two walls have been stripped from their paper. One room was easy. We used a wallpaper perforator and, with the help of some glue dissolving chemicals, the wall paper was off in 20 minutes. The last remnants of paper did take a little bit of work but surprisingly little. After this happy event we went to the second wall. This was a totally different story!
The wallpaper split and the top layer came off for the most part and the bottom layer was hell to work with! Every inch of wall had to be conquered over the wall paper. For a while it looked as if the paper was winning. We persevered though and in the end were victorious.
Next the walls were painted. Just the basic Ral 9010 (broken white) as it turns out is was not quite the same as the rest of the wall which were Ral 9001 (cream white). This was not an issue so much as the fact that the one layer covering paint did cover in one layer and we had to do the bedroom once again. Of course then it was noticeable that it was the wrong colour and I had to make some repairs. But finally we have those walls under control.
SO oiled the wooden floors at level 3 (bed and dressing room).
Next day we moved the wardrobes from level 2 to level 3. Where they fitted perfectly (there is only 1.5 cm left to the ceiling!) No need for expensive built in wardrobes. These are perfect! My parents came over to help with these and dad put up the lights in the bathroom, kitchen and bedroom.
Then level 2 was oiled by SO (office and fitness room).

Around this time a discussion started on the walls at level 2. Most of them are a cream with a hint of brown. Not too bad, except two feature walls that are apparently cappuccino coloured. I think they are more poo coloured. As we are not 100% sure how things are going to work out with the fitness room and the office is generally lighter we said let’s leave it the way it is.  Though it beats me why you paint the darkest room in the house in a dark colour. It makes no sense to me at all.

Today I finished the painting in the bedroom. Due to the colours being so close the corners were not done well and needed to be saved. I took the opportunity to paint another small wall where the paint had not been done very well. I also cleaned the en-suite bathroom. The vendor had left the house clean. But I know the tricks of the trade and as expected everything was clean at eye level. The shower has a wall that is not up to the ceiling and of course the top was not cleaned. The heating element sure at the top, not in between the rails. Nothing major but needed to be cleaned. SO was busy oiling the lounge (level 1).

In the afternoon I ran around with some errands and SO and I decided in the afternoon that enough was enough. He oiled the kitchen (which will be taken out, but we’d like to keep the wood) and we will do the dining room and hallway (level 0) after we have installed the new kitchen. I also told SO that I was going to paint the poo coloured walls as I had decided I really hated the colour and that I could not imagine doing my yoga in there. No way I would be able to relax there as it would bother me too much. SO thought it was fine if I wanted to do this. We have sufficient time and paint. It will need two layers but it will lighten the rooms so much!

So tomorrow more painting for me. Then cleaning and Thursday the same. SO will change to packing at our old home. All will be fine Just hard work that we are not accustomed to.


About Gilraen

My blog is simply about my life. I moved countries for the first time in 1993. I lived in the Netherlands, UK and NZ. The initial idea was to keep my overseas friends up-to-date with what was going on in my life. The blog, like me, is always changing and evolving.
This entry was posted in Moving and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Housework

  1. Gilraen says:

    draakje wrote on Aug 12, ’09
    Good luck with everything. We are planning a rearrangement of the upper floor to fit in our new little one. I am looking forward to it. Last weekend we have decided hat needed to be done and we have planned a week in September to actually do it. In the mean time I can clean out some cupboards and look for new curtains.
    Good luck!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s